Profound? Not really!
How are you getting on with your New Year's goals after one month? For the past 4 years every New Year me and Bex sit down and set goals for the year...things we want to do, achieve, complete or start. Last year I had 17 goals and managed to tick off 10, which I thought was okay. This year I have 20.
In the whole area of 'trying to be a better steward of what God has given me', one of my goals this year was to not buy any clothes, shoes, accessories or bags in January or February. I was really challenged when I was packing up my flat to move of how much stuff I had - way more clothes than I need and who needs 6 pairs of boots, well, 7 if you count my hiking boots!!! Rather than spending my money on stuff that I don't need I could put it to better use...
Well so far so good! I haven't actually been shopping apart from to the supermarket. Then it hit me, I realised if I didn't go pottering around the shops then I wouldn't be tempted to buy things that I don't need. Profound? Not really! If I'm tempted by something then why put myself in a place where I can be tempted. I remember when I was younger in youth group someone used the illustration of falling of a cliff - if you don't want to fall off the cliff stay well away from the edge. Don't try and see how close you can get to the edge! That's just stupid!
In the whole area of 'trying to be a better steward of what God has given me', one of my goals this year was to not buy any clothes, shoes, accessories or bags in January or February. I was really challenged when I was packing up my flat to move of how much stuff I had - way more clothes than I need and who needs 6 pairs of boots, well, 7 if you count my hiking boots!!! Rather than spending my money on stuff that I don't need I could put it to better use...
Well so far so good! I haven't actually been shopping apart from to the supermarket. Then it hit me, I realised if I didn't go pottering around the shops then I wouldn't be tempted to buy things that I don't need. Profound? Not really! If I'm tempted by something then why put myself in a place where I can be tempted. I remember when I was younger in youth group someone used the illustration of falling of a cliff - if you don't want to fall off the cliff stay well away from the edge. Don't try and see how close you can get to the edge! That's just stupid!

1 Comments:
You know what? I realised that in about November and I haven't bought a pair of shoes since!
By the way, I think 6 pairs of boots is a good number.
Post a Comment
<< Home