Friday, January 30, 2009

The Latest Blonde Moment

Last week I had a 'blonde moment', although I suppose technically it was more of a 'blonde 7 weeks' rather than just a moment. I feel that in order to explain myself I needed to take pictures. (Would also like to say 'thank you' to all who have reminded me of my many other blonde moments...a lot of which I had forgotten about) In hindsight maybe this wasn't my stupidest after all...

Okay, the background...when I was looking around the house that I am now living in I was very excited to see a fire in the living room.

"How cosy," I thought, "That will be really nice on a cold winter's night to go into the living room, shut the door, and be all snug". The fire was actually one of the things that sold the house to me (my flat where I was previously didn't have one)

On moving day I noticed the fire was electric so I plugged it in and tried to turn it on. Nothing. I moved the grate thing and as you too will see there are no buttons / switches to turn it on. Sarah was around so she came to have a look as well.

So we took the fake log off and the fake coals and had a look around, all we found was a light, but even that wasn't working - need to change the bulb, I thought.

I was a little disappointed that I only had a fake fire in the living room. I kept thinking as I was sitting in the living room - if this was my house I'd get a proper fire put in, not just one that was a light! I mentioned this to several people as they came round. All over Christmas, especially when it was like below freezing and it was really cold, I had to sit with a blanket over me as even with the central heating on it was still really cold.

Then on Thursday Vicky and Catherine, girls who I was a uni with, came for tea. It was a bit chilly and even with the heating on I was concerned that they were cold. Off I went explaining about my fake fire.

Now Vicky wasn't having none of it. She was convinced that people just don't put in fake light fires. They do! I knew that, I had one!!! On her knees, off came the grate, then the log,
still couldn't find anything to turn it on, but then she noticed the grill with a 'do not cover' sign on. Look that's where the heat comes out of, she said. I'm still 100% convinced that it was not a proper fire, and a little bit indiginant that she thought I was that stupid that I couldn't find the buttons to turn it on.

Then she tried to lift the hood and look what she found - buttons to turn the light and the fire on! Hmmmm!!!!!!!

So for 7 weeks I have been convinced fake fires exist and have been cold! Oh well - at least now I can enjoy my beautiful, warm fire :-) How cosy it that!!!

6 Comments:

Blogger Ros said...

Oh, Dawn - never change! Fake fires with lights in. Magic.

10:48 AM  
Blogger Big Pete said...

I needed cheering up and that post has certainly done that!

11:28 AM  
Blogger Ros said...

Also, I just read your wall on FB and I definitely think the map moment is even more blonde.

5:08 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Glad to be of help Pete :-)

11:38 PM  
Blogger Neil Jeffers said...

Laugh, I nearly cried!

9:35 PM  
Blogger Bex said...

I told you so! I told you! Would you listen? Oh no. This opens the door for me to be right about all sorts of other things now!

5:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home