Monday, June 01, 2009

"You're not leaving the table until..."

I hate sprouts. Always have done. And I think probably fair to say always will do. Jazz them up anyway you want but they're still sprouts so I will not be convinced to eat them.

When I was younger my mum would often put one sprout on my plate and tell me to eat it. I'd complain, eat the rest of my dinner and stubbornly refuse to put the sprout in my mouth. But I was firmly told I wasn't allowed to leave the table until I had. I'd strop some more and appeal to my dad, without any success. Then after a fair amount of time I came to realise that if I wanted to go back and play etc I just had to eat it. By this time it was cold making it even worse.

Looking back the most sensible thing would have been just to eat the wretched thing before anything else getting it over and done with. Then I could have enjoyed the rest of my food and left the table a lot earlier to go and play.

Why I am reliving my childhood nightmares? Good question! Well I think I can learn something from it...

I have just come in from work and the plan for this evening is to "catch up on stuff" - the list is long! The reason it's so long is because I have been putting things off and they're things which need to be done. On my dining room table I have piles of things that need to be sorted, some of which have been there for a few weeks now. The problem is every time I see them I'm like - "I need to deal with that" and they're just there - doin' my head in!!!

So tonight I'm going to see how much I can tackle. And in future I'm going to make it my motto to try and do those tedious jobs when they arise...a bit like eating the sprout first.

1 Comments:

Blogger Liam said...

But sprouts are the best bit - I don't get it...

5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home