Saturday, April 04, 2009

Working for a church

Three posts in one day...I really need to speak to some people tomorrow!

Am coming up to the end of my three year contract at church and over the past few weeks have been reflecting on that time. Unlike a lot of people, before going to Bible College I'd never worked for a church before, yes I'd been involved in lots of aspects of church life but I'd never been part of the staff. And I've learnt a lot over these past few years!!!

Working for a church is very different to any other job I've had before - teaching, pharmacy assistant, plus other part time jobs in a supermarket, chemist and cafe.

And over these next few posts I will try and 'articulate' what I've learnt...for what it's worth.

The 1st thing I've really come to appreciate is this: My job has eternal consequences. Let me explain...I get to spend time with children and tell them the good news of Jesus - which is basically Jesus died on the cross taking the punishment for people's sin so that we can be forgiven by God and be friends with him.

This is huge because one day these children will meet their maker and God will punish sin. So on that day it won't matter whether these children have passed their SAT's tests or how far they have progressed up the career ladder or if they live in the most desirable area of town. What will matter is whether they are trusting in Jesus as their Saviour and Lord. And how does someone know what sin is, know that God will punish sin and know that Jesus has offered to take that punishment for sin, unless someone tells them?

Working for a church means that I have more hours to do the above.

But that does mean that when I am having a 'bad day' for whatever reason maybe I'm tired, or my mind's on something else, or I'm just really unproductive, then I feel guilty. Now I know that everyone has bad days in whatever job they do. When I was a teacher I used to have them quite often! But when I taught a particulary bad maths lesson or lost my temper with the kids then it never really played on my mind much. I'd evaluate and do things differently next time.

I know God is much bigger than me and is in control and so on. And I know that if I have a bad day and get something wrong, or don't do something well, then God is still in control. But I'm still learning how to deal with those feelings of guilt.

Does that make sense?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home