Monday, February 19, 2007

An unexpected but pleasant trip to Oak Hill, a camp reunion and a late Valentine’s Day celebration…

It has been a busy weekend!

The plan was to leave for the camp reunion on Thursday and stop over in Birmingham on the way to celebrate Valentine’s Day with Bex. (About six years ago me and Bex decided that it was stupid that we couldn’t go out on Valentine’s Day just because we were single. So ever since then we have always met up to do something.) However this year I was stood up as Bex wasn’t very well. So wondering what to do instead I rang Helen at 4 p.m. and by 9:30 p.m. I was in her little flat in London. We stayed up into the early hours of the morning drinking tea and chatting, I thought about getting up early to go to Friday chapel but as I hardly ever made it in for Friday chapel when I was a student I didn’t want to break the tradition so went in for coffee break instead!!


It was really nice to see people and catch up. I visited the book room were I still have to urge to whisper, I keep thinking it’s a library! My vicar was slightly horrified in last week’s staff meeting when it came up in conversation that I hadn’t read Calvin’s institutes. I had always meant to read them but somehow never…so I bought them from the book room and hope to read them. After a trip into Southgate with Helen and lunch in the dining room it felt like I’d never left. Then it was off to see Neil and Anna and meet James. Very cute, photos will follow.

After part one of the weekend was over it was off to Streatley & Goring Youth Hostel for Ashville 3’s camp reunion. It was great to see members again, especially 4 girls who were in my dorm in the summer, still loud, enthusiastic and lovely! We looked at some of the Psalms in our focus meetings and also had an impromptu Bible study on Zephaniah. The Zephaniah Bible study came about after one of the questions in the quiz on the Saturday night…"Zephaniah is a book of the Bible, True or False", leaders weren’t allowed to help and the members were very unsure until one lad stated, "Zephaniah is definitely not a book in the Bible". Steve J, who is not one to miss an opportunity, looked at what Zephaniah was all about. I don’t think I’ve ever heard a sermon or done Bible studies on Zephaniah so I found it very useful and really enjoyed looking at this book.
Games, walks, Dorm time, meals, lots of banter and late nights completed the weekend.

By Sunday afternoon Bex was feeling better so en route home I stopped in Birmingham and we went out to eat pizza. She also made me write my 2007 goals, which we usually do over New Year. Bex has made me do this for the last few years and I have actually managed to achieve several things like reading books that I wanted to / needed to read, learning how to do Sudoko, writing essays by earlier deadlines and keeping in touch with people. I have never succeeded in achieving all my goals but some at least.

This year some of my goals include reading Calvin’s Institutes Volume 1, finishing at least one of the ten started cross stitches that I have started, committing to memory some of the psalms and learning how to knit. I was meant to learn how to knit last year but failed. Apparently knitting two stitches in a scarf me mum made me didn’t count as learning how to knit. Bex has since bought me a starter knitting kit complete with instructions, pattern and enough wool to make a pair of babies’ booties. If I succeed you’ll all be getting scarves for Christmas!!!


All in all a good few days :-)

6 Comments:

Blogger Ros said...

If I teach you to knit, will you still keep in touch with me?

12:56 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

That would be good Ros, but I'm thinking you're a little too far away. So this is the plan you need to write your Phd a little quicker so that you can come home and teach me how to knit before 2008. Letter is in post!

1:05 PM  
Blogger Bex said...

I like ros more and more! Gardening, radio 4 and now knitting!

11:47 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Actually Ros is a lot like you but nowhere near as ditzy!!

1:32 PM  
Blogger Ros said...

You make me sound so middle-aged: gardening, radio 4 and knitting. I must find some youthful activity. Perhaps I should take up break dancing? Dawn, can you advise what the yoof of today are into?

4:37 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

You should take up break dancing Ros! I think that's an excellent idea. Please can I accompany you for your first lesson! :-)

11:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home